1. Money

Erin Huffstetler

$4 Prescriptions

By February 25, 2008

Wal-Mart was the first to roll out $4 presciptions; and now, many other stores are following suit. Here's a list of the latest to offer $4 generics:

Know of others? Share the details, and help your fellow frugalites save!

Related Reading:

Photo Credit: Jaye_Elle

Comments
February 26, 2008 at 6:42 am
(1) Cookasita says:

Thanks to you I’ll be saving $…my bp medication is on the list of $4 generics at Target. Good job, Erin!

February 26, 2008 at 7:48 pm
(2) ohjodi says:

Schnucks will fill some antibiotic prescriptions for FREE.

The list is here:

February 27, 2008 at 3:35 am
(3) Just Plain Bill says:

I believe Costco just announced that they will also be offering this service.

February 27, 2008 at 4:05 pm
(4) Kim says:

Hi – Love the newsletter Erin! Thanks!!!

At most Wal-Mart/Sam Clubs, too!
http://www.walmart.com … pharmacy or link:

March 4, 2008 at 2:03 pm
(5) Gayle says:

In Florida, Publix supermarkets with pharmacies offer FREE generic antibiotics. This is not a special – this is every day.

June 16, 2008 at 10:13 am
(6) Michelle says:

Safeway grocery stores with pharmacies are rolling out the $4 script program in the greater Washington area. I’m not sure about other Safeway-owned stores like Vons and Genuardis, for example.

June 18, 2008 at 2:28 am
(7) Mel says:

In Michigan, Indiana, Ohio (and maybe Illinois?)…a store by the name of Meijer (large supermarket!) also offers FREE antibiotics.

July 9, 2008 at 4:30 pm
(8) What's New in Maryland says:

In Maryland, Safeway was the first grocery chain to add $4 prescriptions. Giant and Food Lion have lowered the costs of some of their prescriptions too. Giant has certain generic drugs for $9.99 for a 90 supply and Food Lion has some generics at $4 for a 30 day supply and some at $10.99 for a 90 day supply. Bargains, bargains.

July 10, 2009 at 6:34 pm
(9) Heather says:

Several more stores are doing the $4 generic offering, with lists ranging from 200 drugs to over 1,000.

The big one I don’t see listed above is Costco — they are doing it, but there are others as well. This database can help you search for the stores near you that are participating. http://www.healthharbor.com/DiscountDrugRadar.php

July 15, 2009 at 8:15 am
(10) Stephen says:

The $ 4. Dollar prescription offering is great and can be effective but you must do your homework and keep reviewing it. Many companies offer it. The only way to handle it is to call each and ask for a cost figure for each medication.
I have found many differences in price. Some are 6 and seven times more expensive than others are. You have to look and ask. There is no reason to buy all your medications from the same source. You might also tell your pharmacist that one of his prices is higher than the other quotes you have. It works.
His thing you can do to get an advantage is to keep track of the prices for medication. If you have an insurance plan that pays for medication and if they have designated supply, places find out how much they charge. Should you find that you are able to get the medication for a lower cost than they offer write to your state insurance regulator and tell them that you would like a refund of the difference in price. The insurance company has a responsibility to do the best for you. Clearly, it has not and your rated were computed on cost of the medication and other things. Thus if you can get a service for less why should you not be compensated.
If you do not act in a proactive way, you will be hogtied.

December 21, 2009 at 4:07 pm
(11) Barry says:

Hooray! For the stores with $4 prescriptions!!!

January 5, 2012 at 8:00 pm
(12) Rusty says:

Eckerds became CVS and they were on my to and from my house and job would call in day before so I would pickup next day going home and they never be ready.Tried 2 different CVS same thing.Switch to Walgreens alright at first then after about a year me and my wife realized they were shorten us on our medication.Switch to Rays Pharmacy for about 5 years and without notice went to pickup prescriptions and they had moved to other side of town.So ,switched to Targets 1 year ago no problems with my medications but with my wifes and grandson they can never have theys ready always got a excuss the doctor didnt call.They used this excuss on 3 of 4 of my wifes doctors and my grandson , Cooks Chidren doctor.Am tried of Targets B.S.,so going to try Krogers,Wish me luck.