1. Money

Erin Huffstetler

A Newspaper Subscription for Less

By November 7, 2008

How much are you paying for your newspaper subscription? If it's full price, then you're paying too much.

Check with discountednewspapers.com to see if you can get a better delivery rate through them (they typically run 50% less than the normal delivery price); and if that doesn't work, call your newspaper and ask for a better deal.

What other bills would you like to cut?

Photo Credit: Flickr user DRB62

Comments
November 8, 2008 at 7:54 pm
(1) jake says:

Ten things: no cell phones, no internet, no mortgage or second mortgage(paid off home by doubling payments), no cable/satellite tv, no new car (or car payment), no fake nails/high maintanance hair, no constant fast foods and/or eating out, no costly addictions like alcohol or cigarettes, pay as we go community college tuition for courses at the beginning of adult children’s degree programs, no keeping up with the Joneses wardrobes…yes, I am better off now than eight years ago!

November 9, 2008 at 10:05 am
(2) gronk says:

Interesting report on dicount newspapers. Any such deals in Canada?

November 10, 2008 at 2:40 pm
(3) Marie Braden says:

Interestingly, the rate Discounted Newspapers is offering for a Sunday only subscription is $8.67/month. Considering that I can buy it on the racks for $2/week, that’s not really a savings, in my book (yes, I realize there is the occasional month with a fifth Sunday). Yeah, if I were a daily reader, the cost savings is more substantial, but if I am willing to pay a year in advance, apparently I can get just Sundays for $1/week, so….it never hurts to check ALL resources.

November 12, 2008 at 10:01 am
(4) LaVonne says:

I quit getting the paper years ago because I never had time to read the darned thing and it was easier to go to the Internet and go right to the story I wanted to read, recycling it was a hassle, but mostly it was because the coupons are just not what they used to be. I noticed that the “coupon” inserts were just turning into pages and pages of advertisements with no coupons at all, or maybe just one or two. Newspapers are going to have to do a lot better than that to lure me back.

November 12, 2008 at 10:34 am
(5) Couponclippinmama says:

My local newspaper is showing on this website “as low as $1.90/week”. . yeah, I buy it from the newspaper stand for $1.75. That’s NO savings. . .it’s MORE expensive. That’s crazy!

November 12, 2008 at 7:48 pm
(6) Laura says:

This did not work out for me at all. For my newspaper, the very limited savings only applies to new customers and not current subscribers. Not a very good frugal suggestion.

November 18, 2008 at 5:20 am
(7) Betsy says:

Who would even want to subscribe to a print newspaper these days? I get all my news online, and the only cost is my home internet bill.

March 30, 2009 at 11:55 am
(8) Belen says:

For more newspaper subscription savings tips, read the following article: http://www.ehow.com/how_4858049_newspaper-subscription-less.html

September 23, 2009 at 5:07 pm
(9) Brandt says:

If your in the Central Florida area http://www.MyOrlandoSentinel.com has amazing discount prices on the Orlando Sentinel newspaper and they are offer a free gift card. Check it out. Prices are as low as $1 a week for a subscription.