1. Money

Think gas prices are bad? Then, consider this: PC World recently reported that a gallon of printer ink costs $4,731!

Feeling a sudden urge to cut back on your ink use? Here's a tip that will help:

Print Just What You Need

If you need to print an article or recipe off of a website, but aren't interested in printing all of the ads and photos that go with it, just go to printwhatyoulike.com; insert the URL for the page; and you can delete all those ink-hogging extras with just a few clicks.

Photo © Erin Huffstetler

Comments
April 14, 2009 at 9:52 pm
(1) choiceweb says:

Also consider using generic Cartridges. Many are just recycled (cleaned/refilled) and often cost much less. Some work better than others. For my HP Deskjet, I found a http://www.ink4art.com‘s black ink works well but their color looked terrible. HP also sells ink tanks with different capacity, the larger size is usually a better buy.

April 15, 2009 at 5:48 am
(2) Dianne says:

Our Epson Photo printer recently died and we replaced it with a Canon Pixma because of the excellent reviews. It drinks ink like I can’t believe!

I’m buying $30 ink cartridges at least once a month where I used to replace the Epson inks quarterly at most.

Do you know of a printer that has the most ink yeild and the least expensive ink costs?

I’m looking for another printer, this Canon situation is ridiculous.

April 15, 2009 at 9:19 pm
(3) Sunnie says:

How timely! I am talking out loud to myself that I must buy a new black cartridge, and click on the emailed newsletter:) I’m going to try the tip about unclogging because when I shake the cartridge it feels half full-hope it works!

April 15, 2009 at 9:38 pm
(4) Anne says:

Get a black and white laser printer. You can get compatible toner cartridges for about a third of the brand name toner cartridges. My last toner lasted about 6 months. 2000+ pages.

April 16, 2009 at 4:52 pm
(5) Franny Frugal says:

I used to print out every news & zine article. Now I hit the save button and store multiple copies in case I lose one or the other. Also, I’ve begun to commit a greater amount of material to memory. Not only does this save on paper and electronic storage costs, it is a great mental workout. Believe me, if it is only a few pages long, you can remember it. The more practice, the more automatic this will become. I’ve cut my printer cartridge consumption in half.

April 17, 2009 at 8:05 am
(6) Anna_esq says:

My laser printer cartridges last a long time, but cost around $180 apiece. I find I can get another 100-200 pages out of the cartridge once it starts to blink low ink by periodically taking out the cartridge, shaking and rolling it to redistribute the ink (be careful not to get any smudges on your clothing), and popping it back in. Also, there are several great places to buy reconditioned (refilled) or generic cartridges for $49-$89 apiece and I’ve never had any problems with them.

April 17, 2009 at 2:46 pm
(7) Belinda L. says:

Another way of doing what printwhatyoulike.com does is to highlight what you want to print and choose Selection on the main Print menu.

April 19, 2009 at 4:33 pm
(8) schplurg says:

I bought a refill kit for both my color and black cartridges. You get 5 refills for 30 bucks. It’s easy to do and it works great.