1. Money

Erin Huffstetler

What Did You Accomplish in 2013?

By December 30, 2013

This time of year, we tend to look ahead to the new year and our new goals; but we should also take time to reflect on the past year and everything that we accomplished.

So ... what did you accomplish this year? Did you pay off a bunch of debt? Build up your savings? Cut your budget? Now's your chance to brag about those accomplishments, so let's hear it.

Related Reading:

Follow on Facebook | Follow on Twitter | Follow on Pinterest

Comments
December 21, 2010 at 5:05 pm
(1) debratallent@sbcglobal.net says:

my accomplishment for 2010 was to find a partime job to relieve some of the financial stress of our retirement household; it feels good to have a savings once again. I always read to see what others are doing and how they find ways to save, nice to know we are not alone in our frugal lifestyle.
dt

December 21, 2010 at 7:42 pm
(2) Jan says:

I have cooking more at home and now make my own laundry detergent and fabric softener. I also have made it a rule to shop resale stores before going retail.

December 22, 2010 at 2:21 am
(3) James77777 says:

I avoided the stress, traffic, gasoline cost and diseases at the mall by not going. If I can’t get what I want for gifts on line, I don’t want it. Buy out of state and pay no sales tax so the shipping is a wash. On line there is real comparative shopping. You really don’t think malls provide free parking, decorations, etc. and there are any real sales there, do you?

Everyone is crying frugal, so I went to brown wrapping paper made from the paper bags to fit the theme.

I experimented and purchased a second pair of glasses (bifocal) on line using my prescription and just asked for my PD (pupil distance) for comparison to the retail ones I just purchased. I picked out the most expensive everything and 4 pairs of slip on sunshades for $88. That compared to bargain frames that cost $351 with the exam and a discount program. There was no compromise on quality, weight or anything else. My cheap glasses exceeded my expectations. I bought them from Zinni.

December 22, 2010 at 5:44 am
(4) Sharon from London says:

I shaved 10k off my mortgage – yay – good for me. I feel quite proud of this accomplishment.

December 22, 2010 at 7:42 am
(5) Jenna says:

One of the best things I did this year to save money was to work on my anxiety. I’m extremely sensitive to external stimulation, and this caused me to get into avoidance behavior, which in turn had me ordering in, as well as rushing to limit my time in the bright, overly colorful grocery store. The money that I have saved has been great! Instead of making a long list and shopping for the week, I break it up into 2 – 3 mini trips. This way, I only have to look for a handful of items, and can get out of the store quickly, but with everything I went in for, instead of saying ‘forget about it’ just to escape. And, the bonus is that by going to the store more often, even if for just five minutes at a time, I’ve been able to feel more comfortable. So now, with less anxiety, I’m able to take the time I need to compare prices, ingredients and to scope out any unadvertised in-store specials. :) Now, I LOVE going to the grocery store, because I’m feeling more in control, of both my emotions AND my money! Yay!

December 22, 2010 at 12:02 pm
(6) Nancy L:ee Thomas says:

I purchased Christmas gifts from Thrift Stores and Consignment Stores for my grandchildren. Most of the additions to my wardrobe also came from thrift stores and eBay.

I filled the open spaces in the rarely used doors in the 1929 home I rent with plastic bags that I get from the grocery store to prevent drafts. I just use a rounded table knife to push them into place around the door.

I started buying Great Value brand food items. I’ll buy one of something, say like a can or baked beans, to sample them. (They are delicious buy the way). So far the only thing I have not liked was the Oats type cereal. It saves me a lot of money on my grocery bill!

I am still having to file bankruptcy because I lost my job and can not find work. Even McDonald’s in the area I live in is not hiring. But I have learned new frugal skills that will continue to help me in the future. I plan to always live frugally. Merry Christmas!

December 22, 2010 at 12:32 pm
(7) bizeegal says:

It was a tough year for cars and major expenses. 1 put out of it’s misery, 2 deaths and 3 wrecks and a heat pump stopped working. So we made many changes; teenager taken off our insurance and made responsible for her own, We purchased a newer and better car for her. Again she is responsible for maintenance (she is doing a good job there). Replaced totaled car with minimum out of pocket and replaced another with used but newer van. Heat pump was overworked for the size of our home so it needed replacement and upgrade. But through it all we managed to replace all of the emergency fund and increase our charity giving. DH worked overtime and I took on an extra project while our discretionary spending was cut way back. DH always faces threat of layoff so this was a major priority and motivator. Our goal was to be able to do more pleasure travel and cut our mortgage back farther. We cut the mortgage back some and did some light traveling DD got her European graduation trip in before all the other expenses (lucky her). So, even though it was a tough year it was still a good year because we were prepared. Our savings is back where it should be and we will get that mortgage down some more and get that special trip in 2011. Oh yeah, I had my main bathroom remodeled and a shed built. Those have been my goals for several years and I can scratch them off the list!

December 22, 2010 at 4:39 pm
(8) Gramma says:

We worked 4 3 years 2 remodel our office/mudroom & although it is not 100% (getting close) were able 2 start using it this year. A 12 foot counter makes up the desk top & cost $17.00 @ Habitat Re-Store. (kitchen counter top, white laminate with real oak trim that we pieced together 2 make super cool corner desk.) Bought (real wood!) oak trim 4 less than 1/2 Home Depot type store price from a store that purchases broken pallets. 2 solid oak cabinets (7 tall) w glass doors on tope were freebies. Skylight came from e-Bay 4 less than 1/2. Floor tile (12″X12″) cost $1 @ on sale. With savings were able 2 install heated floor, which was pricy but enjoyable ~ this room was always cold in the winter & hard to heat. Thermometer now says 66 degrees but can sit comfortably 4 hours working bare foot in a T-shirt & shorts. We did painting, stained/varnished woodwork & did demo. hired help for wiring, sheet rock, the floor & installing trim. Still have oak wall shelves 2 B made by local Amish man ~ he will also build a shoe pantry on rollers 4 the closet ~ everything is on rollers 2 clean under it. It’s a joy to clean this room! It’s sunny & bright, even when cloudy, warm under foot & worth every & effort.

December 22, 2010 at 9:02 pm
(9) Cheryl Designs says:

I am VERY proud of this past year. I am permanently seperated from my husband, who happens to remain my BEST friend :) We are both self-employed and this year has been difficult as far as LOW incomes. I still manage to pay for TWO households on an income less than most SINGLE people have. We are down to ZERO savings but the bills are ALL paid on time. Our credit scores remain in the mid 800′s….I am certain that 2011… WILL BE our year to soar WITH OUR BUSINESSES :) We are NOT going to give up our dreams :) PS PS…When doing home construction…..There are GREAT bargains to be had on eBAy..REALLY…. Don’t forget to check Craigslist too….GREAT Bargains on there…You just have to make the time to contact people and PICK THEM UP :) MERRY CHRISTMAS and a HAPPY 2011:)

December 23, 2010 at 5:49 pm
(10) Boo says:

My greatest accomplishment – I uncluttered my house. It wasn’t messy but it was time to go through everything thoroughly and toss, toss, toss. I didn’t do this in a day or a week but chipped away at it. Every drawer, every shelf, every closet was completely emptied, one at a time, the contents were scrutinized then if I really wanted/needed it, it stayed. There were a lot of maybe’s but I couldn’t permit myself to be indecisive so the maybe’s got tossed. Within the first week three garbage bags were filled, It was so nice to open a drawer and it was tidy. I put a closet organizer in the bedroom closet and if clothes and shoes don’t fit (can’t be on the floor) then something has to go. This keeps the closet under control. My small house began to feel larger and.

December 24, 2010 at 2:40 pm
(11) Grammy says:

I didn’t buy any new clothes all year. I shopped my closets instead! This was the first New Year’s resolution I have ever kept. I’m excited and motivated for my new resolutions!

December 27, 2010 at 6:37 pm
(12) RDM says:

I bought my second house this year and have been paying a $400 extra on the principal each month. I will be able to pay the 15 year loan off in 7 1/2 years. I started using public transportation to work to extend the life of my 1997 car (hopefully another 5 years!). I also plan to “shop my closets” in 2011. Decluttering is something I have started on my winter break from teaching. I also will pick up a second hour of tutoring after-school this spring.

December 27, 2010 at 7:44 pm
(13) brenda says:

Paid for christmas with no debt. Kept lots in the savings and 2 more payments and the hospital will be paid off. Yeah!!!

December 30, 2011 at 8:59 pm
(14) Thrifty Mom In Boise says:

My big goal was to pay off my car and I did just that. The title arrived in the mail this week. Hooray!!

December 30, 2011 at 9:50 pm
(15) Bizeegal says:

2011 – I needed to travel monthly and bi monthly to elderly parents home. This has added a big extra expense with the 900 mile each way and 1 night in a hotel. I managed the extra expense by taking on an additional job at work which paid enough of a stipend and since vacations were much shorter and fewer the vacation money budgeted and the stipend paid these trips. DH received a very generous bonus this year for back pay, I would like to see him purchase a used truck with that since the used van we bought last year is not doing the job needed to haul the boat. There will be lots left over and that will nearly double our emergency fund (20 months of expenses). Our retirement accounts have been maxed for contributions, and DD’s college has been paid in full (no loans). The insurance money from our house flood is being stretched and by doing our own work we are putting in lots of upgrades to the house in the rooms that were damaged. Financially, 2011 has been a good year. Health-wise we are working on as a family and emotionally I have been working on that area as well. A good year!

December 31, 2011 at 2:12 am
(16) workingmama says:

I am happy to report that this Christmas I did not spend a DIME Yay!!!
I only gave out a few gifts and they were all handmade items. A few things I had lurking in the house were repurposed and gifted.
OOOoh but the car did need a few things fixed….like new brakes and all weather tires…:( luckily the maintenance fund was still funded for the car. Thanks to all my special friends, the holidays were extra nice this year.

January 3, 2012 at 10:39 pm
(17) Kathleen says:

I am happy to say that at the beginning of 2011 I organized my expenses and formalized a budget that I stuck to all year. I managed to pay off 30% of my LOC and save the same amount to my retirement plan. I shopped my closets, brown bagged my lunches, used public transportation and cut out unnecessary spending like coffees, taxis, drycleaning, etc. I have my 2012 budget all layed out and if I stick to plan, will be debt free by early 2013 and added some $$ to my puny emergency fund. I am thrilled with my progress! I am motivated by people like yourselves posting successes and great tips online as this motivates and inspires me to keep going. It is now a way of life to live by a budget and I can’t imagine living any other way.

December 31, 2012 at 1:09 pm
(18) Evelyn says:

Hi Erin: Well after years of my two sons asking that I move to California to be near them, at 91 I took the plunge. I was used to moving every few years as a Navy wife but this was totally different and such an exhausting job.

Had a gigantic auction sale, got rid of so much useless stuff, the auction and moving was made easier by having sons and daughter help but my furniture did not arrive for five weeks, after a promise of two weeks at the most. So for almost two months I camped out.

I am enjoying being here and so close to loved ones but a financial shock to say the least. Rent here takes more per month than I bring in so I am seeing savings drop. Utilities are all higher. Groceries I can manage because I am very careful in my frugal purchases.

After 60 years of driving I am selling my car, so there goes most of my independence. It was time, too old to drive in traffic here

All in all I am happy and content just hope the money DH and I saved all those years of frugal living lasts me till I go to my eventual end.

Thanks for giving me this chance to unload.

FL is one of the joys of my morning, logging on and seeing how everyone is doing and getting great hints.

Evecan