What is the Unclaimed Baggage Center:
The Unclaimed Baggage Center is a one-of-a-kind store that buys unclaimed baggage and cargo from airlines and freight ships, and then sells it to consumers at a considerable discount (anywhere from 20-80% off retail). The 40,000 square foot facility is neatly arranged by department and boasts a wide-range of merchandise. With 7,000 new items added daily, there's always something new to check out.
Where It's Located:
The Unclaimed Baggage Center is located in Scottsboro, Alabama (about 40 minutes outside of Huntsville). There's also a second location in Boaz, Alabama.
For the Scottsboro Store:
Monday - Friday 9:00 a.m. - 6:00 p.m. CT
Saturday 8:00 a.m. - 6:00 p.m. CT
For the Boaz Store:
Monday - Friday 10:00 a.m. - 6:00 p.m. CT
Saturday 9:00 a.m. - 6:00 p.m. CT
Verify the hours before you go: 256-259-1525
What You'll Find:
- Sporting Goods
- Eyewear (both sunglasses and prescription glasses)
- Purses, bags and luggage
- Some things you have to see to believe
You'll Like the Unclaimed Baggage Center If:
- You want the latest fashions and gadgets, and are willing to pay half-price for them
- You enjoy searching stores like TJ Maxx and Marshalls for designer labels
- You enjoy wearing clothing from overseas designers
You May Not Like the Unclaimed Baggage Center If:
- You're used to paying thrift store or yard sale prices for your belongings
- You don't like crowds
- You're not into labels
Tips for a Successful Shopping Trip:
- Shop on a weekday to avoid the crowds
- Be sure to visit the Annex and Book Nook housed in separate buildings (use the door in the men's department to reach them)
- Sign up for the UBC e-newsletter to receive sales alerts
- Make a pit stop before you go. There are only two stalls each in the men's and women's bathroom, and the lines stay long
UBC's Biggest Bargains:
Coats and shoes are the stand-out bargain. You'll find winter coats for as little as $8 and brand new shoes for half their regular retail. This is a great place to get high-end sneakers for low-end sneaker prices.
Cameras are a bargain too. Prices start at just $25 for a good quality digital camera.
If discounts of 80% off are more your thing, check out their selection of hats, gloves and socks. Accessories seem to get the biggest discount, and there are lots of new-in-package socks to choose from.
My one-and-only find on a recent visit: a wool Columbia ski cap for $2.09, with a retail price of $25