Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 4 minutes
Total Time: 9 minutes
Yield: Serves 4
- 4 cups of boiling water - approximately
- 1 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1/4 c canola oil - approximately
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 Tbsp sugar (optional)
1. Combine the dry ingredients in a bowl.
2. Add boiling water, and stir until you get the consistency of pancake batter.
3. Heat your cooking oil in a pan.
4. Then, pour the batter into the pan.
5. Fry the cake on one side until golden brown. Then, flip it over and fry the other side.
Our reader says: Cheap and good! My mom made this for us with dinner from time to time. She lived during the Depression Era; and had it then, too.