Know several people who like to can? Then, consider throwing a canning swap party. It's a fun way to fill your pantry with lots of home-canned goodies.
Time Required: Varies
- Send out your invitations two-three months in advance to allow guests plenty of time for canning. Ask each invitee to bring enough jars for everyone on the guest list, plus one more for sampling at the party.
- Follow up with a reminder a few weeks before the party. Include a note that everyone should bring labeled jars and copies of their recipe (one per person).
- Before guests arrive, set out fresh bread, crackers and chips for sampling everyone's wares. Finish off the table with small plates, plenty of serving spoons and knives, napkins and drinks.
As guests arrive, arrange their home-canned goodies on the table and open a jar of each item for sampling (place copies of the recipe next to each sample).
Note: If space allows, you may want to use one table for the samples and another for the take-home jars)
- Encourage everyone to dig in.
- As the party winds down, send everyone home with one jar of each goodie.
- Have some labels and pens on hand in case someone forgets to label his/her jars.
- If there are any known food allergies among the group of invitees, be sure to let everyone know well in advance.
What You Need:
- Lots of home-canned goodies
- Bread, Crackers, Chips
- Plates and napkins