Ready to trade your over-priced and chemical-laden dishwasher detergent for something better? Then, try this simple recipe for homemade detergent:
What You Need:
- 1 Tablespoon Borax
- 1 Tablespoon baking soda
What You Do:
Mix the Borax and baking soda together. Then, add to your dishwasher's detergent compartment, and run as usual.
Why This Works:
Borax and baking soda are both natural disinfectants and mild abrasives – just what you need to blast away stuck on food and germs. In fact, you may be interested to learn that Borax is a common ingredient in many commercial detergents.
Benefits of Making Your Own Dishwasher Detergent:
- no harsh chemicals
- does not emit chlorine gas like other commercial detergents
- effective sanitizer
- effective stain remover
- effective water softener
- environmentally-friendly (phosphate-free)
Tips and Warnings:
1) Borax sells under the name 20 Mule Team, and can be found on the laundry aisle.
2) Save time by making up big batches of dishwasher detergent, consisting of equal parts Borax and baking soda.
3) Keep prepared detergent out of the reach of children and pets.