Colored sugars are great for decorating cookies, cakes and other baked goods, but they cost way more than they should. Learn how to color your own sugars, and cut your baking costs considerably.
Time Required: 5 minutes
- Place sugar on a piece of waxed paper.
- Add a drop of food coloring and mix until the color is evenly distributed throughout the sugar.
- Continue to add food coloring one drop at a time until you are satisfied with the color.
- Use immediately, or allow the sugar to dry and store in an air-tight container.
- If your sugar comes out darker than you'd like it to be, simply add more sugar to the mix.
- You can also use this technique to color coconut.
What You Need
- Granulated sugar
- Food coloring
- Waxed paper