Need to replace your HVAC system? Follow a few simple steps, and you could save thousands on your replacement costs.
Time Required: Varies
- Check to see if your local utility company offers any rebates or incentives for replacing an old HVAC system. The TVA In-Home Energy Evaluation Program, for example, will give customers up to $250 for installing an Energy Star system.
- Find out which HVAC company currently has the best rebate offer:
- Select an HVAC system that qualifies for the energy tax credit to save up to an additional $1,500. (Expires: December 31, 2010).
- Wait to have your new system installed in the fall or spring, when HVAC contractors aren't as busy. Then, ask for an off-season discount.
- Prices may vary widely from one company to the next. Get several quotes before making your decision
- On the fence about whether you should replace your HVAC? Find out when Energy Star recommends a replacement.
What You Need
- A computer
- A phone