What is Hulu?:
Hulu is a website that allows you to watch hit TV shows, sports events and movies online for free.
How Does Hulu Work?:
Using Hulu couldn't be easier. Just log on to hulu.com; choose a show or movie that you'd like to watch; click play; and the video will load in Flash Player. There's nothing to download and nothing to pay.
Minimum System Requirements:
- Internet Explorer 8, Firefox 2.0, Safari 3.0 or Chrome
- Adobe Flash Player 10.1 (.53.64)
- Microsoft Windows XP SP2, Macintosh OS X 10.4 or Linux
- a high-speed Internet connection
Note: It's no longer necessary to create an account or to log in when you want to watch a show. Just enter the program that you're looking for into the search box on the homepage, and it'll bring it up for you.
What You'll Find on Hulu:
Browse through Hulu's library, and you'll find the latest episodes of your favorite shows, as well as classics like the Three Stooges and Mary Tyler Moore. You'll also find a large collection of full-length movies.
Make the Most of Hulu:
- Subscribe to your favorite programs, and you'll be notified each time a new episode is uploaded
- Add shows that you want to watch later to your personal queue, so they'll be easy to find
Save Money with Hulu:
- Ditch cable TV, and watch your favorite cable shows online
- Watch movies online, instead of renting movies or paying for a movie subscription
- Catch missed episodes of your favorite shows, without paying for a DVR subscription (the last three episodes of many shows are available for free)
A Note About Hulu Plus:
In addition to the free version of Hulu, there is also a paid version called Hulu Plus. It's currently $7.99 a month, and allows you to stream shows directly to your wi-fi enabled TVs and mobile devices. It also offers fewer commercial interruptions, access to the complete season of current shows, plus access to shows that are not available through the free version. I've looked at it several times, and actually think the free version is better. While I would love to be able to stream shows directly to my TV, I've found that many of the shows that I watch can't be streamed to a TV even with Hulu Plus, due to licensing agreements. When I want to watch Hulu on my TV, I just hook up a monitor cable between my laptop and TV, and I'm good to go.
Update: I now have Chromecast, which allows me to stream Hulu on my TV without the use of a cable. I just bring the show I want to watch up on my computer, and hit the Chromecast button in the corner of my browser window to send it to my TV. Pretty spiffy, and there's no monthly fee.