Are extras weighing down your budget? Use this list to identify the extras in your budget; then, decide which are worth keeping and which are just keeping you at work.
- Could you do away with cable or satellite entirely?
- Scale back to the basic channels?
- Switch from digital cable to regular cable?
- Do you need a set-top box or hook up in every room?
- Do you need caller ID and call waiting?
- What about voice mail?
- Could you cancel your long distance, and use a phone card instead?
- Do you need a landline and a cell phone?
- Could you switch to a cheaper cell plan?
- Get rid of text messaging or other features?
- Could you eat at home more often?
- Pack your lunch, instead of buying?
- Bring your coffee from home?
- Pack snacks when you know you'll be away from home for an extended period?
- Bring drinks and snacks to work, instead of relying on the vending machines?
- Could you set a clothing allowance or lower your existing allowance?
- Could you swap clothes with a friend?
- Shop second-hand?
- Repair clothes, instead of replacing them?
- Forgo dry cleaning?
Subscriptions and Memberships
- Are there seldom read magazines that you could cancel?
- Is your mail movie rental subscription a must?
- Do you have a gym membership that you aren't utilizing?
- Could you cancel your membership to clubs that you no longer have time for?
- Could you rent movies instead of watching them at the theatre?
- Go to matinees?
- Go to free concerts and events, instead of paid events?
- Borrow books and movies from the library, instead of buying them?
- Listen to the radio instead of buying CDs or songs?
- Find a cheaper hobby?
- Scale back your vacations?
- Could you cancel your lawn service?
- Ditch your maid service?
- Change your own oil?
- Have your hair cut less often?
- Do your own manicures and pedicures?
- Forgo the massage?