Prep Time: 30 minutes
Cook Time: 12 hours
Total Time: 12 hours, 30 minutes
- 6 lbs apples
- 1-1/2 cup sugar
- 2 tsp. cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp. ground cloves
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
1. Peel, core and slice apples.
2. Put the apples, sugar and spices in a crock pot (4 quarts or larger), cover and cook on high for one hour.
3. Remove the lid, and cook on low (stirring occasionally), until the apple butter reaches a spreadable consistency and is dark brown in color.
4. Transfer to hot, sterilized jars, taking care not to fill past the headspace line.
To Can: Process the jars for 10 minutes in a water bath canner. Refrigerate any jars that fail to seal properly.
To Freeze: Allow the jars to cool. Then, place in the freezer. Use within a year, for the best quality.
- Use a variety of apples for the best flavor
- Want to speed up the process? Turn your crock pot on high, and stir more frequently
- Have a super-big crock pot? This recipe doubles and triples beautifully
- Prefer to make your apple butter on the stove? No problem. Just set your pot to a low simmer. No recipe modifications are required
Processing times vary by altitude. Check with your local extension office for times specific to your area.