Dealing with a clogged toilet? Grab two ingredients from your pantry, and resolve the problem without a plunger or a plumber.
Time Required: Varies
Pour a regular-sized box of baking soda and up to a gallon of vinegar into the toilet bowl. Be sure to add the vinegar slowly because it will create a foaming action when it comes into contact with the baking soda.
- Allow the mixture to sit for a little while.
- Then, give the toilet a flush. This should clear the clog, and restore your toilet to working order.
- To prevent future problems, pour some hot (but not boiling) water into the bowl, and give it another flush. This will help to remove anything that may have been left behind after the vinegar-baking soda flush.
- If the baking soda and vinegar trick doesn't take care of the problem, try a closet auger (you may have a toy or some other object stuck in the pipe)
- This same method can be used to unclog bath tub and shower drains
What You Need:
- Baking soda