Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 1 hour, 30 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour, 45 minutes
Yield: 8-10 servings
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 lb smoked sausage, bratwurst, salt pork, bacon or leftover ham (optional)
- (1)14-oz can diced or crushed tomatoes
- 1/2 lb carrots, cleaned and sliced into coins
- 1 cup brown rice
- 2 cans pinto beans (or any similar bean)
- Water to cover
- Salt and pepper to taste
2. Pour off excess oil, and add tomatoes with juice and carrots. Add water to cover. Then, add about 1 tsp salt, if desired.
3. Bring to a boil; and reduce heat to simmer, until carrots are slightly softened, but not fully cooked.
4. Add brown rice and additional water (at least 3 cups). Continue simmering for about 35 minutes.
5. Add beans; and cook another 10 to 20 minutes, until rice is soft and creamy.
6. Season to taste. Add soy sauce or beef or ham broth during cooking for meatier flavor.
Serve with warm crusty bread.
Suggested garnishes: shredded sharp cheddar cheese, diced red onions, pickled jalapeno slices
SunflowerSue says: Quick, warm, filling and shockingly delicious for such a simple stew. Omit smoked meat for vegan version. Use dry beans, soaked overnight and added 30 min before rice to cut costs even more.
Note: This is a THICK stew. It needs to be stirred from time to time while simmering, and if rice begins to stick on the bottom, more water or broth should be added.