Prep Time: 5 minutes
Total Time: 5 minutes
- Vegetable glycerin, food-grade
- Vanilla beans
1. Mix together three parts glycerin and one part water.
2. Pour the glycerin mixture into a glass bottle (a brown bottle is best, but any will work).
3. Cut the vanilla beans open lengthwise. Prepare three vanilla beans for every cup of glycerin used.
4. Add your beans to the glycerin, making sure they're completely submerged.
5. Then, cap the bottle, and store it in a cool, dark place.
6. Shake the bottle once a week, and it'll be ready to use in two months.
Note: Your finished extract will have just the slightest tinge of color to it -- don't expect the dark color that you get with alcohol-based extracts.
Good to Know:
- Many online retailers, including Amazon, sell vegetable glycerin
- Your non-alcoholic vanilla extract will have a syrupy consistency, but will work just as well as vanilla extracts made with alcohol
- When you finish a bottle of extract, just add more glyerin. Vanilla beans can be reused several times before they need to be replaced
- Your extract should keep for up to four years, and does not need to be refrigerated
- Extracts made with glycerin are called glycerites