Prep Time: 5 minutes
Developing Time: 24 hours
Total Time: 24 hours, 5 minutes
- 1 cup cream (heavy or whipping)
- 1/4 cup buttermilk or sour cream
1. Pour the ingredients into a sterilized jar; seal; and shake to combine.
2. Let the mixture sit at room temperature for 24 hours to allow the sour cream to develop.
3. Stir. Then, store your sour cream in the refrigerator.
Why This Works
The lactic acid bacteria in the buttermilk (or sour cream) ferments the cream, causing it to sour and thicken.
For Low-Fat Sour Cream:
Replace some of the cream with whole milk, half-and-half or light cream. Just keep in mind: your sour cream won't turn out quite as thick.