Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 1 hour
Total Time: 1 hour, 15 minutes
- Pie pumpkins (Sugar, Cheese, Jack-be-Little)
1. Wash and dry the outside of the pumpkins.
2. Cut off the stems; then, cut the pumpkins in half from top to bottom.
3. Scoop out all the seeds and strings.
4. Cut the pumpkin pieces in half once more to create quarters.
5. Place the pieces on a baking sheet, face down and bake at 350 degrees for 45 minutes to an hour (or until the flesh is soft and scoopable).
6. Allow the pumpkins to cool 10 minutes. Then, scoop out the cooked pulp and discard the skins.
7. Puree the pulp in a food processor or blender until smooth (an immersion blender works great for this).
8. Put the puree in a cheesecloth-lined colander over a bowl, and refrigerate overnight (This will allow excess water to drain from the pumpkin, so that the puree isn't overly watery).
9. Use your pumpkin puree right away, store it in the refrigerator for use within the next week or freeze it for use within the next year.
1. Save the seeds from your pumpkins, and toast them for a tasty snack
2. Snatch up reduced-price pumpkins after Halloween, and make a year's worth of pumpkin puree
3. If you decide to freeze your puree, consider freezing it in handy 1-cup servings