Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 1 hour
Total Time: 1 hour, 5 minutes
- A variety of vegetables (onions, carrots, celery, tomatoes, broccoli, mushrooms, etc.)
- Your choice of seasonings (salt, pepper, garlic, bay leaves, etc.)
1. Place vegetables and seasonings in a large pot, and cover with water.
2. Bring to a boil.
3. Reduce heat and simmer for at least an hour.
4. Then, strain out the vegetables, and your broth is ready for use.
1. Not sure which vegetables to include in your broth. Here's what each will contribute:
Tomatoes - acidity and color
Mushrooms - meatiness
Carrots, corn - sweetness
Potatoes - body
Cabbage, celery, broccoli, green beans - earthiness
Onions, garlic - a slight spiciness
2.Vegetable scraps and peels make great broth. Keep a container in your freezer for all those odds and ends, and you'll always have the makings for cheap and tasty vegetable broth.
3. Freeze broth in ice cube trays; then pull out cubes when you need them. Two cubes equal a quarter cup of broth.