Tired of tossing rotten potatoes? Learn how to store them properly, and they'll stay fresh weeks if not months longer.
Time Required: 10 minutes or less
- Inspect all potatoes for soft spots, sprouts and mold. Only perfect potatoes are suitable for long-term storage.
- Place the potatoes in a cardboard box, paper bag or mesh bag to ensure good ventilation.
- Store in a cool, dry and dark place (50-60° is the ideal temperature range).
- Check on your potatoes regularly, and remove any that are soft, shriveled or sprouted.
- If your potatoes are homegrown, allow them to dry before storing.
- Do not wash potatoes until you are ready to use them.
- Keep your potatoes away from other produce to prevent flavor transfer.
What You Need
- Cardboard boxes, paper bags or mesh bags