Tired of tossing rotten potatoes? Learn how to store them properly, and they'll stay fresh weeks – if not months – longer.
Time Required: 10 minutes or less
What You Need:
- Cardboard boxes, paper bags or mesh bags
- Inspect all potatoes for soft spots, sprouts and mold. Only perfect potatoes are suitable for long-term storage.
- Place the potatoes in a cardboard box, paper bag or mesh bag to ensure good ventilation.
- Store in a cool, humid and dark place (45-50° is the ideal temperature range).
- Check on your potatoes regularly, and remove any that are soft, shriveled or sprouted.
Expected Shelf Life: 4-6 months, under optimal storage conditions
- If your potatoes are homegrown, allow them to cure before storing.
- Do not wash potatoes until you are ready to use them.
- Keep your potatoes away from other produce to prevent flavor transfer and premature ripening.