Dry nuts fully before storing. (Not necessary for chestnuts).
- Place nuts in air-tight containers to maintain the proper moisture level.
- Keep nuts away from onions and other high-odor foods (Nuts will readily take on the smell of things around them.)
- Store shelled nuts at room temperature for up to three months. Store shelled or unshelled nuts in the refrigerator for up to six months, or in the freezer for a year or more.
- For peak freshness, store nuts in the shell until you are ready to use them.
- Chestnuts are not as shelf-stable as other nut varieties and must be handled differently. Refer to, How to Harvest and Store Chestnuts, for complete storage instructions.
- Label your packages of nuts with the date that they were put into storage.
What You Need
- Air-tight storage containers
- Masking tape
- A marker