Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 8 hours
Total Time: 8 hours, 5 minutes
Yield: 4 half pints or 2 pints
- 4 lbs tomatoes
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1/2 of a large onion, chopped
- 1/2 tsp. oregano
- 1/2 tsp. basil
- 1-1/2 tsp. sugar
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. pepper
1. Toss all of the ingredients into the Crock Pot (the tomatoes can go in whole).
2. Cover and cook on low for several hours, stirring occasionally.
3. Once the tomatoes have broken down, uncover; and continue cooking until you reach the desired consistency (expect it to take at least eight hours).
4. Run the tomato sauce through a food mill to remove the seeds and peels, or give everything a quick spin in a blender or food processor.
5. Pour your finished sauce into jars, taking care not to fill past the headspace line.
To Can: Add one tablespoon of bottled lemon juice to each pint; two tablespoons to each quart. Water bath can pints for 35 minutes, quarts for 40 minutes.
To Freeze: Allow the jars to cool. Then, place in the freezer. Use within a year, for the best quality.
- For the best flavor, carmelize the onions and garlic in a bit of olive oil on the stove before you add them to the crockpot
- Do your tomatoes seem to trickle in from the garden? Just freeze them until you have enough to make sauce
- Prefer to make your tomato sauce on the stove? Here's a step-by-step tutorial