1. Money

Erin Huffstetler

Does Wal-Mart Save You Money?

By September 13, 2007

$2,500--that's how much Wal-Mart claims you'll save by shopping in their stores over the course of a year. Are you seeing this much savings?

I'm certainly not. In fact, I'm not convinced that the discount giant is offering shoppers much of a discount at all. Case in point: I made a rare trip to Wal-Mart earlier this week, and was shocked to see twelve packs of soda selling for $3.98 each! I don't even have to go to my price book to know that's outrageous. Sheesh!

But $3.98 soda isn't what made me give up my Wal-Mart habit. What did? The ever-increasing prices. Have you noticed how the same item can be a slightly higher price each week you go to buy it? Yeah, not much of a savings there.

Nevertheless, Wal-Mart is about to launch an advertising campaign focusing on "how [they're] working hard to save people money so they can live better."

So, I have to ask . . . Do you feel that Wal-Mart saves you money or improves your quality of life? Are you saving $2,500 a year by shopping there? Weigh in with your thoughts.

POLL: Does Wal-Mart save you money?

1) yes
2) no
3) I don't know
4) I don't shop at Wal-Mart

View Results

Comments
September 13, 2007 at 1:43 pm
(1) Emily says:

Buying soda pop, at ANY price is outrageous. Wal-Mart costs money, no matter what you buy.

That their merchandise is primarily over packaged, over processed and poorly constructed is NOT a savings.

September 13, 2007 at 3:43 pm
(2) Mary D. says:

I don’t shop at Wal-Mart. Aside from their shifty marketing, I just don’t believe in supporting a corporation that pays their employees so poorly that the county / state the store is in ends up picking up the tab for foodstamps and other basic services that are needed because of underemployment.

Also: your poll is faulty. I clicked on “I don’t shop at Wal-Mart” and it didn’t register on the poll results. With only 51 responses at that time, it should have!!

September 13, 2007 at 8:14 pm
(3) rebtex says:

WAL-MART SUCKS!!!! Wal-Mart is an evil empire that says it’s “cheap” and then raises prices ONCE EVERYONE ELSE HAS BEEN PUT OUT OF BUSINESS. Many of these were independent stores that had been around for generations. They pay their employees crap wages and use questionable labor practices… they also are a major, if not THE #1, importer of cheap JUNK that is made in China, and causing a HUGE boom in their economy, and therefore their world power,, while we here in the once-great nation of America go broke because all our jobs are disappearing. China is notorious for shady labor practices as well, and they are becoming the world’s worst polluter, since they don’t seem to care about emissions controls. Jim Hightower sums it up better than I can:

btw, I also voted “I don’t shop at WM” and it didn’t show up.

September 13, 2007 at 11:39 pm
(4) JR says:

I keep a price book and have definately noticed their prices going up on the same items each visit. I previously had given up on buying anything other than vitamins and toothpaste and such. I ended up buying some new kitchen towels this last shopping trip and the quality was terrible!!! They looked fine from the outside but since they were all tethered together with those little plastic things I couldnt see the inside. Loose threads and snags and missed rows of terry on all six towels. Any other store would have sold them with the label of “irregulars” if they even sold them at all. And don’t get me started on the the checkout line speed…or lack of. I will be switching back to Target from now on.

September 14, 2007 at 12:38 pm
(5) Amber says:

I agree – not saving. I used to work at WalMart. Have you noticed the oil change prices now? Sheesh. Used to be $14.00 for an oil change when I worked there only 2 years ago – the price is now DOUBLE! Can’t get anything for less than $28! I’m doing my own oil changes from now on. As for shopping – The lines are so slow and long, and the prices aren’t really comparable unless your getting electronic equipment. I don’t shop there at all anymore – Target only!

September 14, 2007 at 3:17 pm
(6) Joyce says:

Can’t we start a campaign to let deluded shoppers know that Wal-Mart isn’t the low price leader anymore. I also spent more on impulse buying there. Now I go to a local, employee-owned grocery store & Dollar General and proved in one short shopping trip I saved $6 over Wal-Mart’s prices (total ticket was only $38). That’s a huge percentage. Americans are idiots if they think Wal-Mart has the lowest prices on everything. AND THEY NEVER HAVE TRUE SALES!

September 15, 2007 at 12:45 am
(7) Bonnie says:

For people like me, I actually DO save money by shopping at Walmart. I try my best to keep my cost of groceries as low as possible. I find myself shopping at various places so that I can get the best deals. If I were to do all my shopping at one place, I wouldn’t end up really coming out with savings. In fact, all the regular priced items at one store would make up the difference of all the sale items that I would purchase!
For families like mine, I go there to buy cans of bean…and depending on which type: black, pinto, refried, kidney-light & dark, black-eyed peas, and whatever else they have, I end up spending between $0.43-$0.55 per 16 oz. can (instead of $0.77-$2.05 for the same item at my local supermarket). When in need, I also buy some pre-made spaghetti sauce from there for $0.89 for 26.5 oz…(instead of $1.25) because I know there will be days when I’m NOT going to want to stand in the kitchen and make spahetti sauce from scratch…although THAT’s the cheapest (and most common way) that we do things at our house.
I also like to shop at the 99 cents only store…but I’ll tell you that I haven’t seen a can of beans that aren’t 2 for $0.99 or just 1 for $0.99. That to me, just isn’t worth it. I also get some canned veggies at both Walmart & the 99 cents only store (again, just a quick accessible item when I don’t have time/ don’t find deals on fresh veggies) and again, I find Walmarts deals to be betterh than the 99 cents only store. Not only that…I find that the canned veggies that I get at the 99 cents only store are somewhat questionable. They look, smell, and taste somewhat off…
If you’re buying crayons, notebook, toothbrush, ziplock bags (or similar ones), the 99 cents only store is the way to go. But I’ve gotten so many good deals at Walmart (asides from my beans) such as very cheap shirts, bras, baby diapers (w/sale & coupons), printer, and some toys, that I can’t say that Walmart sucks. For me, Walmart helps me stretch my dollar and allows me to have some extra spending money to buy some scrap fabric from anywhere between $0.11-$0.49 , to keep up with my sewing hobby.

September 16, 2007 at 10:23 am
(8) Crow says:

Stop trolling. You don’t like Wal-Mart, we get it, stop whining and attacking people that choose to work or shop there.

September 18, 2007 at 9:00 pm
(9) gourmet girl says:

Shame on the Guide of this group to use it as her means to promote her personal agenda.

I DO save money at Walmart ALL OF THE TIME. Prices HAVE to increase, and they are increasing EVERYWHERE. Look around you people, and stop blaming a coporation that has been hugely successful for the downfall of small business. The bottomline is price…….if the little guy can’t give me a good price, I’ll go to the big guy.

September 19, 2007 at 1:54 am
(10) Ann says:

Of many items I buy regularly, I’ve noticed that Target’s and some other stores prices are much higher than WalMart’s. I’ve noticed WalMart’s prices on many generic over-the-counter medicines and other health-related products are sometimes 2, 3, and 4 times cheaper than brand names and other stores’ generics. I’ve found WalMart’s generics to be good quality. Because I also have a Sam’s Club card, I also get discounts on prescriptions at WalMart. Compared to other pharmacies in my city, I save over $120 every month on my prescriptions. That’s over $1400 I save a year just on my prescriptions! So absolutely WalMart saves me money!

September 20, 2007 at 10:57 am
(11) Marcia says:

I would rather not shop at Wal-Mart. Where I live there isn’t much choice. I do save some money there but I have discovered that contrary to what a lot of people in my area believe they are NOT always the cheapest place to get anything. So you have to watch out as you do at any store and not assume anything. If I had more choices though I would rather not shop at Wal-Mart. Every store though has its issues. A lot of people don’t like Target, some people don’t like dollar stores. If you eliminated every store that offended someone along the way, you would have to grow all your own food and make all your clothes from weaving on up.

September 20, 2007 at 11:46 pm
(12) Helene says:

I agree with one of the posters that says that it’s unfair for the guide to bash the store.

I do save money at Wal-Mart. I buy their generic foods and brand-name beauty supplies. I’d spend 10-50% more if I shopped at the supermarkets and drugstores nearby for the same items. Sure, prices for certain things have crept up (ex. sugar has risen $0.50 since last year) but prices on most things everywhere have shot up.

Any truly frugal person knows that there’s no single store that gives you the best price on everything. That’s why we comparison shop!

September 21, 2007 at 2:08 pm
(13) Michelle Edwards says:

I only shop at Wal-Mart very rarely, there is a certain brand of cat food I buy and the same size bag of the same brand food is over $4.00 cheaper at local grocery store, but they will not match it because it is their everyday price and not a sale price. How can a little store have it so cheap and the biggest on can’t?

September 26, 2007 at 1:19 am
(14) Lee says:

I believe that Walmart saves me money; certainly over the local supermarkets, although I haven’t compared prices at Target. Regarding wages, I’m not so concerned if they don’t pay as high as similar companies. People are free to seek employment elsewhere, and we are free to shop elsewhere.

SAM’s has great prices on CFL bulbs, btw. I think it’s great that Wal Mart and Sam’s has made a push to get those into our homes to conserve energy.

September 26, 2007 at 1:43 am
(15) Julia says:

Walmart has god prices on specific items i.e Wal-mart brand Splenda is as much as $5 less than some grocers. When I go I stock up on those specific things that I came for and then it is worthwhile. There back to school supplies sale is super also since we have to buy everything for the classroom including tissues and paper towels.

September 26, 2007 at 2:56 am
(16) Jan says:

Yes,it is rather a shame for this new guide to be promoting her own agenda! If I could, I’d do most of my grocery shopping there! I figure that alone would save me a minimum of $ 1,300 a year!
If you don’t like the store….don’t shop there….and don’t bash corporations for making money. People are can be evil…not stores!

September 26, 2007 at 3:44 am
(17) Virginia says:

I live out in the country and have to shop there as it’s the only department store in town. I get cleaning supplies and facial tissues at the dollar store and Safeway’s special sale items, Walmart costs less. With the local mill closing, Walmart does provide some jobs and they employ some seniors and disabled people – I don’t know what they pay them. Hope they give them health insurance though.

September 26, 2007 at 4:15 am
(18) Toni says:

I can buy a 12 pack of soda at the local grocery store for 2 cents more than Wal-Mart charges. That price is up dollar from six months ago. I rarely buy clothes there cause the quality is terrible and they neve have anything to fit my son. If they do it comes in 3 styles only. I do buy my pants there because they are cheap and my line of works destruys clothes fast. I buy alot of arts & craft suppies there due to the low prices. We have 2 stores here and they are in the planning stages of a new supercenter close to where I live. I will continue to buy groceries at the grocery store and will be so glad when the Target store gets finished next year. There stuff is usually a little bit more pricey but it is better quality.

September 26, 2007 at 6:26 am
(19) Retail Worker says:

This Walmart bashing by the moderator and a few other posters looks alot like the same “Union Backed” crap that being assimmilated on other online websites.
How about talking about the poor merchandise and services rendered at the likes of Sears,K-Mart and Penneys ?
These long time businesses have been overcharging and selling foreign made goods alot longer then Walmart….but you claim it’s Walmarts fault that most items found in ANY store today are mostly made in China.
The American worker has priced themselves out of work,thanks to being led around by their noses by greedy,shady “union reps”.
As for running the competition out of town;most small town businesses have done it to themselves.
After working in retail for over 35 years…and “yes”,I work at Walmart and I make a decent living wage.I am also,”not” a burden to the local taxpayers.
I used to think that About.com was a great site to subscribe to…NOT ANYMORE…I also think a few well worded e-mails to the people running this site will bring an end to this obvious Union backed attack on good honest hardworking people and a good company.

September 26, 2007 at 7:08 am
(20) denise says:

I don’t regularly shop there because its 35 miles round trip, but certain things apple juice was a lot cheaper but then I checked the label the apples used were from China!!! I rather watch for sales and stock up at the local store. Dollar General is closer and comparable in price

September 26, 2007 at 7:34 am
(21) Wendy says:

The question isn’t fair. Walmart saves me money, but it doesn’t save me $2500 a year by shopping there. Its like any store, you have to watch your prices and where the stuff comes from. Duh. You can pick on any chain but it comes down to common sense.

September 26, 2007 at 7:58 am
(22) Mindy says:

I don’t understand why people are getting upset with the moderator for bringing up this subject. I think that she has valid points. Walmart discussions seem to hit a nerve with many people.

Personally, I rarely shop there but when I do, it’s to buy water in the gallon jugs. Walmart is the cheapest place that I have found this. I also will check out the clearance section and usually buy a couple of groceries. However, on groceries I can usually get a better deal when I go to my local grocery store and use coupons that get doubled.

So, yes, I do shop at Walmart occasionally but I feel guilty about it as well. I’m still trying to decide if it’s worth my conscience to save a few dollars. When possible, I try to support my local stores as well as the stores rooted in my state.

September 26, 2007 at 7:58 am
(23) Frugal Living Guide says:

No agenda here guys. Wal-Mart made a claim that they saved people $2,500, and I just wanted to know if you found that to be true for you. I shared my opinion to jumpstart a conversation, not to sway people to my way of thinking. Agree with me or disagree with me. I’m interested in hearing what you have to say.

September 26, 2007 at 8:00 am
(24) bonnie says:

Super Wal-Mart offers convenience, with everything in one store but if you don’t know what you are shopping for it is a scam, but so are the others. Yes, what is on sale is cheap, but, that is just to get you into the store. Once there you will pick up other things that are highly over priced.I never understood how a product could be 1 price on say Wednesday, but Thursday it was .50 more. Those are the items that I don’t buy. As for check out, I live between 2 different Wal-Marts, and one has lots of live cashiers,thereby generating jobs, and the other has lots of self check outs. They save money! Poor Sam would be turning over if he knew how poorly his help was treated, as well as his customers.

September 26, 2007 at 8:13 am
(25) Nancy says:

I no longer shop at Walmart. I personally think the question is very fair. When you throw a statement like that out there you leave yourself open for close examination by many. I’m not going to argue that some every day items are certainly cheaper. But, believe me when I say they make up for it in the rest of your purchases…whether it be food or non food items! I personally do not save money accross the board, which is pretty much what walmart is claiming. My problem isn’t with the fact that they raise prices…let’s face it, everyone does! My problem is how shady they are about it! Some of us compare prices and watch pricing all of the time but when a company changes their prices up and down on a weekly basis it just gets exhausting trying to keep up! It is far to high maintenance of a shopping trip for me! I finally got mad when their “Generic” brand items started to outprice name brand items! That’s just shady! We all know we are to check prices but it is common (come on, admit it!) for people to “assume” the generic is going to be cheaper! I know the old addage about assumption, but, Walmart is aiming their advertising to those that may not be as savy and they know it! So, I guess, to wrap it up, I just don’t like shady business and I’ll just keep shopping according to sales at other grocery stores!

September 26, 2007 at 8:13 am
(26) Christy says:

I used to shop Walmart all the time. However, where I live, Kroger and Meijer have awsome sales and double coupons. I do the bulk of grocery shopping there. I DO get better prices on the OTC generic medicines and other such health items. Target is the next comparable for generics in this area. In Florida, I saved money shopping Walmart, but we have more options up north. Sorry Walmart. And it IS annoying to find the price constantly fluctuating week to week. I really miss the old Walmart when Mr. Sam Walton was alive and items were “proudly made in America.”

September 26, 2007 at 8:31 am
(27) Kimberly A says:

I do save money at WalMart. I buy very little processed food, and as I compare prices at the few other grocery stores in the area, WalMart is USUALLY the best price for dry beans, produce, diapers, and meat (Aldi is best, but the selection is even more limited and they aren’t as ubiquitous as WalMart). There are a few items that I have to get elsewhere because WalMart’s selection is limited. I don’t buy much “stuff” at any store, I use WalMart and other grocery stores for food! I get “stuff” at Aldi, WalMart and freecycle.com. I haven’t gotten into garage-saling yet, since I have young children and only recently stopped doing day care; I simply haven’t been able to get out to do it.

September 26, 2007 at 8:45 am
(28) Kimberly says:

Also, WalMart hires new immigrants with limited English language skills. At times it’s frustrating as a consumer, but I appreciate that they give anybody a chance to work, learn the language, learn job skills, etc. That’s what’s good for our economy. Insurance? I don’t know–but nobody is enslaved at WalMart. Everybody can look for another job. I certainly worked at enough places during my “working” life before kids–when the REAL work began! Now I really can’t afford to be wasteful with my money, so I shop at WalMart and make meals from scratch (and no soda pop!).
I do think that for whatever reason WalMart has come to personify “evil” corporations when we can just as easily look at our own “evil” consumerism and greed for more. If there wasn’t demand for the products/services, there wouldn’t be someone or some company trying to make a buck meeting our self-indulgent destructive appetites (the domestic sex trade, for example). And, WalMart is cheaper than KMart, Target, etc. So you can’t find clothes at WalMart–Target doesn’t carry stuff that fits me! Does that make them evil? Every store has their clothing lines, you just have to learn which brands fit, have the quality you desire, etc. Quit knocking WalMart. I’m sure I do save at least $1000 annually on the grocery items.

September 26, 2007 at 8:52 am
(29) Carrie says:

I live in the UK so we don’t have a Wal-Mart as such, but we do have Asda which is part of the massive group as I understand it – the sign says Asda/Wal-Mart.
I do not find them cheap at all and use a smaller, far more customer friendly supermarket. Asda are always claiming to be the cheapest supermarket, but these claims seem wrong to me – and are certainly based on a very restricted and edited list of ‘essentials’ which are not, for me, essentials at all!

September 26, 2007 at 8:56 am
(30) Connie says:

Wal-Mart does not save you money. However, did you know that if something is priced wrong, Wally World has to give you the correct price, and if it is over 3 bucks, they have to give you the correct price, with 3 bucks off, if it is lower than three buck, they give you the item free of charge.
Not many people know this, they used to have it written on their number signs that used to light up years ago.
I did this, and the cashier didn’t know anything about it, and was very rude, and I had to report her to the customer service manager.
I hardly ever buy anything at Wal-Mart anymore. I once told someone the stores I shop at and she said yeah but is it actually cheaper per oz., I said when I have a dollar only to spend in my pocket then it is the right price for me.
Wal-Marts quality is very poor. They except any kind of quality in order to get mass quanity. I rate quality over quanity any day.
I know of someone who works there, and had to have some dental work done, Wal-Mart insurance didn’t pay a dime of it. That is very lousy. Why would anyone want to work there, and be treated like that.
I can’t instil enough into my children, how important it is to get that degree, so they won’t be stuck working in a joint like that. Wal-Mart will eventually go under mark my words, but it is going to take many years of people wising up for this to happen.
They have things strategically placed in there store so many will buy more than what they planned on. If you are ever in there just look at the buggies that are packed with nothing but stuff, that is all it is.
I took a survery about 3 months ago, the last time I bought a quick item in there, and it was for to win $1,000 (yeah right) they asked all kinds of questions like where do you shop, and if the place you shopped at wasn’t on the list, and you placed other, then it would ask you the place you named in the next question, how much you shop there, how much you spend there, and so on. They even went as low as to you to put a precentage on all of the stores you shop at including Wal-Mart. For me Wal-Mart ended up being 2%.
They even wanted to know if someone approached me in the store and ask me if I needed help in finding someone. Well heck no that didn’t happen.
I shop at a local scratch and dent store, I get veggies and meat through the county wwww.shareflorida.com program, and I also shop at Dollar General, Family Dollar, and The Dollar Tree as well. Our local Dollar Tree has coolers and freezers now, and offer a lot of food to choose from, and I noticed someone paying with food stamps the other day.
Wal-Mart stinks!!!!!!!!

September 26, 2007 at 9:06 am
(31) Pat says:

WM is the only game in town. They have us by the toes. I try to not shop there very often, but need to for some things. We would like other stores to come in, but Maytag being closed has left us wanting for retail stores.

September 26, 2007 at 9:07 am
(32) Andrea says:

I don’t live near a Walmart so I don’t shop there but occasionally drive past one and have stopped in- I don’t think their prices look so great and their clothing looks pretty poor(except for things like hanes or fruit of the loom- and I buy that on sale at Target). I don’t like a number of their practices but as to where you get the best prices- it is never one place. For instance, Superfresh(I think it is Acme other places?) seems to have higher prices in general (maybe just near me) but they always have double and sometimes triple coupons and really excellent sales. So if you read their ads, you can stock up on items-name brands, too- since some things I buy are not always available in generic. I have bought 24 cans of soup at one time and 10 packages of a particular veggie burger with great coupon savings.

September 26, 2007 at 9:13 am
(33) Charliemac says:

First I don’t think the moderator is bashing Wal Mart as such. It was just the topic that was presented and a comment was made “do you really save?”

Second, I don’t think any one store has “the cheapest prices”. All retail stores have those specials to draw you into the store and dthat is what most people go for. I am very familiar with Sears and their operation and let me tell you if they can get it cheap they will just like all the rest of the reatil stores. You, the consumer, has to be the one to watch for quality.

As to the comment “The American worker has priced themselves out of work,thanks to being led around by their noses by greedy,shady “union reps” I would like to point out that the day senior execs decide to pay themselves a decent salary (not the millions they get now)and the day investors in the stock market quit worrying about quarterly earnings and let businesses run in a normal way, then I will beging to tear down unions but right now (as in the past) they give the blue collar worker (and some white collar workers) a chance to take home a decent wage.

Lastly, anyone who has commented on buying at a Dollar General Store or $.99 store or any other CHEAP place should have their heads examined if they say Wal Mart sucks. These types of stores have the worst quality and service of anyone. At least you can return merchandise to Wal Mart.

September 26, 2007 at 9:34 am
(34) Tina says:

I’m not sure what kind of prices you are used to paying where some of you shop or live, but $3.98 for a 12 pack of soda is not too much here. And I would never be able to find two cans of beans for 99 cents?? I mean seriously. Those are pretty good prices, actually.

We have Albertson’s, which is very close by when I need to stop in for just a few things and I’ve found their prices getting more competitive over the last year or so.

Wal-Mart has always been cheaper than Target, and not to sound snobby, but who buys clothes at Wal-Mart?

Also, time is money to me. I’m not going to spend a day schlepping to five different stores to save a few cents. I have more things to do with my day and the savings aren’t enough to matter if I’ve used up the difference (or more) in the price of gasoline.

When I don’t want to deal with long lines, which I hate, I go during the week or early in the morning. Or, if I don’t need anything more than groceries, I’ll choose the Wal-Mart neighborhood store over the big superstore. No lines, easy to get in and out.

As for low pay, people choose where they work, and if they don’t like the wages, then don’t work there. If there are few jobs in the community and people can’t get by on the jobs available where they live, Wal-Mart can’t be blamed for that.

September 26, 2007 at 9:45 am
(35) slavin says:

I shop at Goodwill for most things. I don’t mind if it’s a little beat up or scratched. For linens and clothes, I wash them and they’re good. I get everything but food. We have a garden and are mostly vegetarian. I buy a little fish or hamburger at Food Lion and stretch it in stews or pasta dishes. Walmart buys produce and other food from 3 world countries. They spray with pesticides banned in U.S. for 50 years. I hate Walmart cause of all the walking you have to do.

September 26, 2007 at 10:06 am
(36) Pam says:

I think everyone has their own preferences. Me I will not shop Target for many reasons. As to Walmart saving me money, it sure does! I compare prices & know what is a good deal & what isn’t. I keep my impulse buying in check, but all stores target the consumer with those.

One of the things I really like is their as match. I can get most of the sale items from other stores @ the sale price & save my time & gas. I do not buy meat products there however as most of their meat has a notatin on the label that says “added solution”. I only buy natural meat products.

I mainly cook everything from scratch, so I usely buy the same things each month. Not to mention the papertowel prices, tp prices & diapers. Those 3 items alone save me big bucks each yr. So yes I will continue to shop at Walmart & not the Target when it opens next month.

September 26, 2007 at 10:07 am
(37) Kim says:

I will shop at WalMart sometimes and I usually buy from a list. I get all the sales papers from the other stores and take them with me. WalMart comps prices. Some stores will take your word for it, but many times you have to have the other stores papers. At the WalMart where I lived in Iowa, each checkout had the other store’s paper. It’s a bit of a hassle, but it has saved me lots on meat, because their meat is not cheap.

One thing I hate is their open freezers! I have had to take more chicken back to them because it went bad in one day sitting in my refrigerator. Ugh! Also, they would save lots on energy costs if they used freezers with doors.

September 26, 2007 at 10:18 am
(38) thixle says:

Wow. The Wal-Mart debate rages on, even here. Remember when Wal-Mart carried only “made in the usa” products? I am fairly anti-Wal-Mart because of their employment practices and shoddy merchandise. In the past 6 months, I’ve had to return about 50% of what I bought there (electronics, kids items, clothing)…
It’s the only place I can get cat food for $8 a bag and children’s tylenol for less than $10… so, I save about $40.
But, even though they are cheaper on a few things, I’ve had enough hassel that it COST me $ to shop there those times.
And don’t even get me started on the plastic bags.

September 26, 2007 at 10:21 am
(39) lhazelm says:

I never shop at Wal-Mart. I get better food prices from Winco, especially in bulk food prices and on canned foods. Someone here mentioned premade spagetti sauce for $.89 – last month the same size can of spagetti sauce was on sale for $.78, down from the normal non-sale price is $.88, at Winco.

And I also like thrift stores for clothes. I get very nice name-brand clothes that way, usually in very good condition, for a fraction of the price. I do have to do some searching, but the hunt is part of the fun, eh?

I don’t much like shopping at ANY department stores like Wal-Mart, but that’s just me.

September 26, 2007 at 10:43 am
(40) LisaInBama says:

I have found that although Wal-Mart’s prices are often lower than a grocery store, that the products are not as high quality. I bought some deli roast beef, the higher-end stuff, and it was so salty we couldn’t eat it. The shredded cheddar cheese was mostly filler (I know, I should have checked the ingredients before I bought it!).

I also don’t really like the shopping experience at Wal-Mart. It is loud – those d*mn TV screens going all the time – and the aisles are crowded and the lighting is glaring.

In my neck of the woods, Publix is a great grocery store that has some good sales. Their 2-for-one sales enable me to stock up if I want, but they also sell one for half-price if you don’t want to buy a lot. They have a better selection than Target, at least of what I purchase, and they have an ever-expanding selection of organic foods which is important to me.

I don’t boycott Wal-Mart even though I take issue with some of its employment practices – obviously I wouldn’t know about prices if I hadn’t been there! But I do try to “green-cot” by patronizing stores that I think treat their employees better, e.g. Publix and Costco.

September 26, 2007 at 10:46 am
(41) Alice says:

We watch the ads and then go to walmart first. If they are cheaper we buy there if not we go to the local grocery store with the best sales on the way home.
Everything is going up NOT just at walmart.
If the people working there don’t like the treatment they get maybe they should get another job. No one is forcing them to work there. Everything doesn’t have to be unionized. Wake up people and see what is going on not just at walmart. No, I don’t work at walmart.

September 26, 2007 at 11:21 am
(42) Nancy says:

Yes, Wal-Mart prices do seem to go almost weekly, but so do every other store’s prices. Also, Wal-Mart has a price matching policy. Bring in an ad from any competitor, and they will match it. Their store brands are considerably lower, and lots of brand name products are too. If you price match other store’s loss leaders you can save quite a bit, and not have to run all over town to other stores for their loss leaders.

September 26, 2007 at 11:36 am
(43) Kathy says:

I used to shop at Wal Mart a lot, when I needed a large amount of laundry supplies due to a work contract I had. But, living in Canada, there is another warehouse type store that is very very similar to WalMart, (I actually think it is Canada’s answer to Walmart! lol) anyway. we have a store called the “Real Canadian Superstore”. How “real” Canadian it is, who knows, but their prices are often the same or cheaper than Walmart. And they are unionized so they do get decent wages and benefits. I also don’t buy much for processed foods, but things like canned spaghetti sauce fit nicely into a 12 hour work day and kids!! I’m leery about their clothing line though, I really don’t like supporting the very bad labour practises in China and other third world countries, although I have emailed them and they said they didn’t subscribe to those practises. I’m not so sure I believe that though. I recently went to Walmart to help a friend and was reminded again how the prices are very similar or more than my store. I do not find shopping at Walmart saves me any money.

September 26, 2007 at 11:52 am
(44) Gloria says:

Wal-Mart is probably where I spend the bulk of my money each week because it has the best prices on most grocery items and other things as well. The meat and produce prices, however, can generally be beat elsewhere, so I usually buy meat and produce at other stores. Their clothing is a weaker department as well. I peruse the ads for other stores, and if I find something that is cheaper at those places, then I won’t buy it at Wally World.

They do not pretend to have all top-of-the-line inventory, and their prices aren’t always the lowest. The prices do fluctuate, but prices fluctuate at other stores, too.

I would say that I do save money at Wal-Mart, though I could not give you a specific amount. I know that if I bought the same items elsewhere, I would spend quite a bit more.

September 26, 2007 at 12:24 pm
(45) erindreg says:

I no longer shop at Wal-Mart because it is too far away. However, I did receive their circular yesterday and looked at it and saw that the detergent I regularly buy was advertised. The advertised price was $2 higher than what I pay for it at Kmart. They also said it was down about 75 cents from its previous price. I have to say that I am skeptical that it ever sold at the previous price and am shocked that they are advertising the new price as a deal. I’m sure Wal-Mart is cheaper in some areas but I do believe it is a myth that you save more overall at Wal-Mart versus anywhere else. I used to shop at Wal-Mart when I lived next to it, but now that I no longer shop there I can’t say I’ve noticed any difference.

September 26, 2007 at 12:24 pm
(46) Kaytee says:

There is no way I save $2500/yr shopping there– that’s more than I SPEND there.

Our WM was not allowed to have a grocery store when it was built– there is a Vons in the same shopping complex, so there was probably some sort of “no compete” clause. However… in the past few months, they have moved in refrigerated cases and expanded their “snack” and other ready to eat/processed food section.

It’s located in the middle of a Navy housing area, and most of the employees are military dependants– they don’t have to worry about health care benefits, and few are going to be around long enough to take advantage of retirement benefits. What is REALLY sad is that even with their jobs at WM and an active duty military “sponsor”, some STILL are getting public assistance because their total family income is still “poverty level”.

Mostly, I go when I’m going to something else in the area, or I’m passing on the way back from somewhere else. My shopping cart usually gets filled only if there is yarn on sale…. Otherwise, Longs Drugs is closer for stuff like cards and OTC meds, and Costco is my main “grocery” store.

September 26, 2007 at 2:15 pm
(47) Kim says:

I shop at Walmart quite often. I have three children and live on a very tight budget. We buy juice boxes (for 1.89 as opposed to the 3.49 at the grocery store) on a weekly basis for our kids lunches, as well as numerous other things. As with any store, some things are a good deal and some things are not, so I shop wisely and only buy what I need, that is how I save money. There are a lot of things I would like to buy, but if I don’t need them I don’t buy them. I shop where I can afford to shop, the people who work at my local Walmart are friendly and seem to be fairly happy with their jobs, I assume if they weren’t they would get a different job. Not every job deserves the same benefits or pay, sadly these are low skilled jobs we are talking about which means they are easier to fill and therefore you don’t have to offer the employees the same benefits to get them to accept the position. The fact that people are working full time and still living in poverty is an issue to take up with our government, not Walmart. That is just common sense, not an evil corporate giant. In today’s world most of us are just trying to provide the best life we can for our families on what we can afford, if that means we shop at Walmart, then so be it.

September 26, 2007 at 2:20 pm
(48) tracy says:

I shop at Walmart because I don’t have time to shop at several stores or recycle lint for that matter. Walmart is cheaper than Target and your local grocer and even SAMS! But, you have to watch what you buy and not get suckered into the “it’s just a buck” game. I keep a price book and watch prices, some things we need, chips and cereals we can do without if the price gets too high. It’s really not the Walmart that is the budget buster but all the take out!!! One of the main reasons I don’t like Target is their terrible return policy….I have small kids that I prefer NOT to take shopping, anytime I try to return clothing or something I get grief even with a vaild, non-expired reciept!

September 26, 2007 at 2:28 pm
(49) k says:

I do not shop at Walmart for a myriad of reasons.

The two Walmarts by me are filthy both inside and outside; I can’t stand the blaring tv screens and screaming boombox music competing with each other and the screaming children (which seem to find me no matter what store I’m in).

I’ve not found their prices to be better than elsewhere when comparison shopping with my price book, and what few clothes I have purchased from them I deemed unsatisfactory after a few wearings and washings. (You get what you pay for.)

I also no longer shop there due to environmental concerns. This decision is not limited to boycotting Walmart only…I tend to “buy nothing new”.

September 26, 2007 at 3:00 pm
(50) Joyce says:

I can see where they have gone up and they are not near the savings they used to be. Even their milk has jumped over a dollar higher than it was 6 months and even Kroger offeres it cheaper. The one redeeming factor is that at my Walmart Super Store they match Kroger, Tom Thumb, Albertson, Sack N Save and Minyard flyers. Ask your store; they may do the same there where you are. But it is also funny that some of their house brands are more expensive than name brand. How can that be?

In a nutshell I would buy quality such as Tom Thumb aka Safeway but these days most of us cannot afford it. And on disposable purchases sich as food I would rather pay less and then be able to buy the namebrand clothing elsewhere such as Levis that I know will last a few years.

September 26, 2007 at 3:28 pm
(51) Stephanie says:

I have to say that I have been quite disappointed with the frugal page since the new guide has stepped in. To continue the discussion line of “quality” the new articles are seriously lacking any depth or helpful insights. This discussion in particular really bothers me.

Does Wal-Mart save you money? That is the question. Or is it? I am not opposed to a heated discussion on any matter – frankly I enjoy them. But I’m not sure that was truly the point of this article. Erin seems to come to the table convinced that Wal-Mart is not worth the time or money of anyone. Fine, but at least as the About Guide on frugality, should you not at least point out that they will price match from every other store INCLUDING PRODUCE AND MEAT?! They also honor other stores coupons. That alone will save a lot of money by not having to visit every store with a great loss leader advertised. Rather, individuals can make one trip and purchase them all. I’m sorry, but the gas alone is a great money saver not to mention the time I saved. And is that not the point of this page? To show how we can all be a little more frugal?! For those concerned with the environment – you can recycle those little plastic bags in a myriad of ways. If the store is in reasonable driving distance – equivalent or close to the other stores, you just helped the environment by not using so much gas and polluting the air that much more!

As a mom of three kids, all of these things are a big deal to our family! So, for instance, the $3.98 pack of soda would have only cost me $2.00 because that is the current sale price being offered at a store just down the road. I already saved $1.98 toward that $2,500. Not to mention the lower price on baby food – normal Wal-Mart price of $.32 a jar for step 2 verses $.43 a jar at my local grocer for the exact same brand. (Making my own at home is a whole other discussion.)

So you shop at the scratch and dent grocery store? Do they have a circular? Bring it in to Wal-Mart and get those apples for the same price of 4 for a $1 without all the bruises. That is what we do. Wal-Mart’s price was $1.79/lb for the same kind of apples, but because I had that circular, I didn’t have to pay it. Cha Ching! More towards that $2500 savings.

And to reiterate what so many have said, prices are increasing in every store on every product in every town. Why? Because over time, that is just how the economy works! Wal-mart is not exempt from that and shouldn’t be expected to be.

Do they have the best quality on clothing or shoes? Of course not, and I’m not sure they have ever claimed that they did. Nor does Target (always stretch out and get thin) or K-Mart (oh good grief). These stores are not targeting your upper-middle class patrons. Theses stores are for your lower income, hard working-class citizens that just may not be able to afford a $40 pair of shoes for junior right when he needs them, but the $15.00 pair will work just fine until he grows out of them.

Rather than singling out one store (because of personal, possibly political, reasons I suspect) for increasing their prices or having less than par quality on some items why aren’t we seeing ways to save on the things we need/want? Perhaps we return to the days when this page offered some great guides on searching for that good deal on food, cars, coupons, dates, activities with kids, cleaning supplies, vacation ideas, etc. What would a great guide entail? It would at least be longer than a 30 second read and taken longer than 5 minutes to think of and write.

I enjoyed this section when it offered things I had never heard of – all the vinegar uses for instance, and reminders on energy savers. But honestly, this has become just another spam email in my inbox because I am just not interested in silly quips that are not helpful in any way.

September 26, 2007 at 4:12 pm
(52) Becky says:

I agree with the post 51. I just started getting the newsletter, as I just quit my job to stay home with my 2 girls. The most frugal thing I’ve gotten so far are the vinegar cleaning uses. I want to know how to save a penny here and there. Not is Walmart saving me money? If it is not, then tell me how to go about saving money somewhere else. Besides, a truly frugal person doesn’t just go to only one store, and always comparison shops. I love that Walmart has price matching. I’ve used that as a resource to make only one shopping trip instead of going to several different stores to get the best deals.

September 26, 2007 at 5:20 pm
(53) Bob says:

I like walmart. The prices are good and you do save money. I remember walmart was the only store open during the katrina flood and they were giving away food and drinks. That should mean something. Bob

September 26, 2007 at 5:44 pm
(54) CarolynK says:

The worst thing about Walmart is the quality. Nearly everything is from China, and I refuse to buy there for that reason. I am NOT a union person, either. Americans are committing suicide to allow all our goods to be made overseas. We are soon going to be a 3rd-world country. It scares me to death. If we don’t wake up soon, we are going to be slaves of China or some other country. Think about it. I know of someone here in Houston who was selling a product made in USA to Walmart, and Walmart asked them to have it made in China to drop the price. So Walmart IS culpable, but much of today’s business world is, too. They don’t care about America; the bottom line is all that matters.

September 26, 2007 at 7:43 pm
(55) LMR says:

I guess I can be added to the ranks of WalMart bashers (didn’t see where there was a rule against taking on a corporate megaconglomerate). First, in their defense as far as all that Chinese-made crap goes, ALL the major retailers are guilty of that and most of the smaller chains and mom and pop stores too! Just try to find anything not made in China. It really p—es me off, but I do what I can and check the labels on everything. If it says “made in USA” then that’s the item I will pick, and yes, even if it means paying a bit more than another brand. I know that may not go over well here in Frugalville, but my personal values are worth something to me too.

Anyway to get back on topic, as for prices, no I don’t see that they save you a lot of money if you shop wisely and have some choices available in your area. If you live in a small town and that’s all you have because they’ve driven off all the competition, well, then you gotta do what you gotta do.

As for improving quality of life, HELL NO! Sadly, a WalMart is going to be built in my community soon and it sucks! WalMarts are big time gang hangouts. You can go in a WalMart anytime day or night and see kids in baggy pants meandering up and down the aisles and it’s obvious they aren’t there to shop! I have seen teenagers making out in the aisles and! I mean, really getting it on! I wanted to say, “hey get a room!” but I don’t know the Spanish for that. I have never seen behavior like that at other stores. WalMarts attract all kinds of crime so I can watch my taxes and insurance go up and my property values go down. Yep, real money saver there that WalMart!

September 26, 2007 at 10:41 pm
(56) Shirley says:

I couldn’t have said it as well as Stephanie # 51 and I also agree with
LMR comment #55.
We have the priviledge to live in a free country and not only that but a country that has a wide choice of places to shop.
lets take the responsibility for our own actions. Walmart wouldn’t be the retail giant that it has become if people didn’t shop there and people wouldn’t shop there if they didn’t get a good enough deal for their money to make them return again.
If you don’t like them then use your freedom to go on down the road and find a store you like.
I live in a small town (population about 600) our local grocery store offers double coupons so when I can use a coupon on a sale item even Walmart can’t beat that price. I try to shop locally as much as possible but there are things I need that I just can’t get in this small town so about every 5 or 6 weeks I make a trip to a larger town and I will hit Kmart, the Dollar Tree and Walmart before I leave. Yes, I like Walmart and I don’t think their prices have gone up any more so than the other retail stores. It’s the economy and
nothing? we can do about it ( that’s a whole “nother” discussion).
Untill the price of gas went up I used to be able to pay for my trip ( 130 miles round trip) just with what I saved on dog food at Walmart in comparison to the local price.
I know that prices “need” to be higher in a small town ( they say it’s the “freight”) but when I could get a 5olb. bag of dog food at Walmart for $2 more than the 8 lb. bag locally should I support the local “thief” or the one’s who own Walmart where that once 50# bag is now 44 lbs and priced several dollars higher. Must be the “freight”!
My point is that as the economy gets poorer, gas prices soar and no one is exempt from price increases.
We are all doing our best to get by.

September 27, 2007 at 2:05 pm
(57) Cindy M says:

I’m glad there is a Walmart within walking distance, ditto a Dollar General. Now I wish they’d build me an Aldi right next door. I’ve noticed most canned goods are going up in price and that Aldi is not necessarily always the best place to get a deal in that regard. I’m strictly housebrand and have learned not to spend much time at Walmart. It’s not a problem; I don’t like their clothes and try to get in and out of there ASAP with only the stuff I have to have. Yes, the oil changes for the car cost too much now. I’m grateful I have a choice whether to buy at Walmart or not, that’s the main joy of living in this country, after all, having a choice.

September 27, 2007 at 4:07 pm
(58) Leslie D. says:

I do shop at walmart. It does save me money. However, I shop carefully and use other stores’ ads which walmart honors.

I’ve read all the posts and heard valid arguments for both sides. What I don’t read anyone saying is this:

All stores engage in psychological manipulation of customers. The industry is built on it. Prices constantly fluctuate more than true sales figures would indicate, loss leaders, placement of items (it’s no accident that kiddy junk cereals are on lower shelves).

I don’t get to just make a list and shop, I have to actively remember that the store is geared to do whatever it takes to seperate me from my money.

What I hate is the adversarial nature of commerce. They don’t just supply merchandise they scheme ways to get me to over-buy, over-consume. The poorly made items foster an attitude of use it, break it, replace it. That goes against the grain of frugal, careful living. Walmart is a flaming example of this kind of attitude toward living, but they are certainly not the only store guilty of it.

Bottom line is that it all comes back to me and my personal responsibility. I have to see walmart like it is and then choose whether or not I shop there. It’s up to me to spend/use responsbily.

I do 90% of the family shopping. I don’t work outside of my home. I will shop wherever I can maximize the family finances. I will shop anywhere I can until I see an ethical or financial reason not to. The time may soon come when I will have to choose whether or not I will continue to shop at walmart.

September 28, 2007 at 2:22 pm
(59) Carol says:

I do not shop Walmart b/c the lines are ridiculous — only 3 or 4 lines open ever, and it is too aggravating. There’s never anywhere to park either. I live across the street from a grocery store, so I shop there, even though some prices may be higher. I also get fuel perks from that store.

October 4, 2007 at 10:23 am
(60) kellie says:

Walmart does not save me money because they are friggin’ marketing geniuses over there. It doesn’t matter what I set as my limit before I go in I always end up spending double. Last time it was just before school. I had gathered all my planned purchases and was walking to the checkouts [which are always to busy]. I was passing the seasonal section, which was all school supplies, and before I knew it I was sucked in and buying up. They have a way of creating a “I must get it now” frenzy. There were several other mothers doing the same thing I was. And the prices were good but that just sucks you into believing you can buy more and you have to get it now because the next time you come this stuff will all be gone…… well, you get the picture. The thing is I didn’t plan on buying any of that stuff at walmart, I was going to go to Staples because I get a discount there because we homeschool. It was temporary insanity and it is not the first time it has happened. Yes, I get that my experience is not completely wally’s fault but I must recognize my weakness and therefore have decided to avoid walmart as much as possible.

just for the record I think it is ridiculous to boycott because of business practices. Do you really believe other businesses are any better? Come on. They all are after the same thing: your money. They are all interested in the same thing: the bottom line, their profits. Walmart is just so big that what they do is more publicized.

October 6, 2007 at 6:03 pm
(61) Debby Sue says:

I live in Anchorage, AK and Walmart has no competition. Basically we are screwed and I shop there only because there are products there I use I can’t get elsewhere, like the brand of dogfood I use. We are about to gain a Target in Anchorage and am excited about that. And yes. I know what you mean about prices rising all the time. Lately they’ve taken away things like vacuum cleaner bags and gone to a much costlier brand. What is with that? All in all I feel I’m being ripped off.

October 13, 2007 at 9:54 am
(62) Monica says:

I don’t see how Erin posting her personal preferences–this IS her column after all–is unfair, especially since she put up a poll, accepts comments, and specifically ASKED FOR OTHER OPINIONS. Sheesh!

October 13, 2007 at 8:54 pm
(63) Doug says:

Uh Marcie-weaving can only come ofter you have grown or harvested the fiber. Moving one I sometimes buy from walmart. While on can save there, but savings isn’t assured on all products all the time.

October 13, 2007 at 9:04 pm
(64) Doug says:

On the soda pop the local WM as it does on so many other items only matches the price of dillons/kroger, the only compatition to WM. Well it may a penny cheaper to live up to it’s motto.

March 20, 2008 at 4:18 pm
(65) Lee says:

Wal-mart does offer some savings—but buyer beware and much of their merchandise is of questionalble quality. As for wages—when wal-mart pays low wages in the small towns the rest fall in line with simular low wages. Wal-marts’ profit sharing does not help either. Amertised over the year it averages out from 20 cents to 69 cents an hour. Not much of an increase if you make 9 dollars an hour. Living Wage in the Mid-west starts at 12 to 13 dollars an hour for a single person. C. Lee

March 19, 2009 at 7:47 pm
(66) Valarie says:

Let’s put it this way okay? If everyone shopped at wal-mart and stopped shopping at the grocery stores then those stores would go out of buisness and once that happens you will really see wal-mart jacking up the prices and why? Because there is no more competition left for wal-mart to compete with and what they want anyways is world domination and have a bunch of non american non english speaking foreigners working there cheap labor and such. Plus wal-mart was trying to charge someone for insurance money spent on hospital bills their worker had acrued after a car accident that left the person permanently handicapped and wal-mart’s case against her for the repayment of insurance money was thrown out because it wasn’t right to begin with. I know about wal-mart and their tactics the one where I seldomly go unless I have to no one knows where anything is at and half of the workers there don’t speak enough english to know what you are talking about. So I agree with the story very much they are going to go up on prices as long as they keep putting competition out and that leaves us amercans jobless due to wal-mart not wanting to hire americans and their clothes are cheap I bought a size 10 pair of shorts those things were so big on me they were more like a size 14 I can’t even wear them. I get my underwear and socks from them since I can’t get them anywhere else due to not enough clothing stores in the area and the ones we do have don’t sale socks anyways but those items tear up before the year is up and their shoes are the only thing that really lasts but one pair I had was only for a little over a year then the bottoms cracked open. but the boot type shoos I got those are still going strong atleast. But now the shoes over there are terrible and not a good enough selection of shoes either and about a hundred of one pair of shoes that are plain jane shoes. Trust me wal-mart has a lot of problems and one is nothing they sell is american made but the food they sell. I watch the stories on the news and storyline about them always negative things. Even ex-workers of wal-mart have nothing but bad things to say about them. So yes I don’t shop at wal-mart unless I really really need to. I buy at Food Lion where I work always good deals there for food.

July 16, 2009 at 12:50 am
(67) Jeff says:

While I really dislike Wal-Mart, I can’t support your claim that they don’t save you money. I have been comparing prices (both regular and sales prices) from several grocery stores and Wal-Mart Supercenters (grocery) in my area and I have observed that the prices of most grocery items are a good 15-30% cheaper at Wal-Mart. There are exceptions, of course, but overall they really will save you money. Yes, they will mislead you with “sales” that aren’t really sales, but I still have yet to find any place with better prices.

November 17, 2009 at 4:16 pm
(68) laura says:

I don’t like walmart. If you can find a parking spot then you have to play bumper carts inside the store for 30 minutes just to stand in line for atleast 30 more minutes. Then they have the self check outs, which are popping up everywhere, you do the work and they make even more profit. I see that as someones job and refuse to use them. I would much rather shop elsewhere even if I pay a few more pennies. I did my shopping last week at Aldi. I saved $40 off my bill. Aldi doesn’t have everything but they had enough for me to save a considerable amount. For example a 48oz bag of boneless skinless chicken breast at walmart was $8.50, at Aldi it was $5.50. That’s 3 bucks right there. I bought 3 bags a savings of $9. Milk was $.50 less a gallon at Aldi. I bought 3 gallons, saving $1.50. It wasn’t hard to save the money. I buy so much because we have 5 children. And is it true that if you are not in a management position you get less than 40 hours a week. Walmart can save a lot of money on insurance on all those part-timers that work for them. 20 years ago, walmart was an excellent place to shop. My first trip in there I could not believe the savings. But over the years I have become so disappointed in walmart with prices and especially customer service. The customer is never right at walmart. It is a shame the way walmart has turned out. I do everything I can to NOT give them my money.

January 25, 2010 at 7:12 pm
(69) Brandy says:

I always shop at Walmart! I have 4 kids and I homeschool them, so I buy lots of groceries, as I have to have breakfast, lunch, dinner, and snacks for everyday. I have tried other stores before but ended up spending way more money!! I love Walmart prices. esp. Walmart brand prices! I mean Sam’s coke and Sam’s Dr. thunder are yummy and only 78 cents! You can get a gallon of milk for just $1.50 and a box of Walmart brand debbie cakes for just a dollar. Now their meats can be expensive so I don’t buy meats from there, but the rest of their foods are great prices!

January 26, 2010 at 7:18 pm
(70) Bob says:

Wal-Mart does save you money but it looses you money too.How? Well Wal-Mart saves you money but simply having lower prces.But how does Wal-Mart not save you money? If you own a business, Wal-Mart is hurting it.
So thats how it is and how its not
Thank You!

May 17, 2010 at 1:41 pm
(71) NicoleJvon says:

I found this site because I thought I was the only person that realized the hike in oil change prices. I was amazed to see there wasn’t a long line for an oil change. Matter of fact there was no line at all. So I went inside and POW! Oil changes were $30 what! The lady tried to tell me they only went up $8 I was like nooo they were half that price for years! That’s not a discount in any way. Now on my home buys walmart is cheaper. Things like cleaning supplies and toiletries and such. But I won’t go there for any oil changes any time soon

August 4, 2011 at 3:58 pm
(72) Kaysea says:

No way do I think Walmart saves me money. I do better by shopping the ads from different stores. I hate standing in line for a hour and by the time you get home all your frozen items are thawed out.

January 5, 2012 at 9:13 am
(73) bellus says:

Last week I spent 197.00 at Walmart. This week I shopped Kroger and with their sales and coupons I spent 117.00! I rarely go to WM because saving is impossible. They claim to honor competitors sales but you have to argue and battle to get them to do it. Employees at WM are miserable and most are rude. I worked at WM yrs ago when Made in the USA was their motto. Now their products are junk.

November 26, 2012 at 4:50 pm
(74) osnowi says:

If you folks think $17,000 a year is fair living wage, then say goodby to the middle class.

February 26, 2013 at 2:00 pm
(75) Dominic says:

Walmart was a price leader, that is no longer the case. Oil change cost is too high, especially using different oil manufacturers in some kind of rotation. Go somewhere else.

July 19, 2013 at 11:03 pm
(76) Armen says:

Wal-Mart, like most other supermarkets, can save you money if you watch what you buy and use coupons.

Most (all?) Wal-Mart items have a unit price — ounces, etc. — shown besides the retail price. So, for example, if aren’t looking for a list of the bacteria in your yogurt and don’t care if the yogurt contains pectin, the Wal-Mart Great Value brand is a good buy. If you want nothing more than milk, culture and at least 6 types of bacteria listed on the label, you buy another brand. Yes, it will cost you more, but you can compare the cost per ounce.

The Great Value brands are almost w/o exception as good as name brands. Note I said ALMOST. My family have found some Wal-Mart branded foods they do not like; so we don’t buy them.

For produce in our community there are better and worse days to shop at Wal-Mart. Worst days Saturday, Sunday and Monday. Better days — Tuesday and Wednesday.

Saving money involves buying “real” food, not snacks or pre-prepared, packaged foods. Reading labels is a good habit to develop if you’re not doing so already. Frozen fruits and vegetables are OK, but we try to buy fruits and vegetables in season.

Driving each week to more than a couple of stores because you want that week’s bargain isn’t worth your gas or time.

All this said, if you’re willing to have a limited selection of good quality store brands, ALDI may be the best store for staples. You may want to shop elsewhere for fruits and vegetables because the selection at ALDI is very small, though good. The meat selection is also small, but what there is, is good.

January 6, 2014 at 12:35 am
(77) Ashley says:

I have cut walmart completely out of my life and only go to local grocers CVS or Walgreens, aldi and whetever I have to go to not go to walmart. On top of my improve quality of life, new found calmness and peace of mind, im proud to say the change has caused me spend on $400-500 less per month than when I went to walmart. Walmart is grossly overpriced compared to local grocers and other retailers here in southern oklahoma and is a complete mess, dirty, never stocked and the last straw, 3 times in a row the cashier kept at least one of my bags. These instances resulted in lost christmas gifts and not being able to cook a meal due to missing items.

I find walmart could care less about theur customers and is just a cattle shoot for every mindless zombie thinking theyre in for a good deal. Save 2500? Psshhh get real, I would be spending 5000 more per year if I kept shopping their. The main thing is that when you go to Wal-Mart you go for
2 things but survival mode kicks in and you stock up on things you dont even need because they have you so stressed into thinking I dont want to cipome back so I need to prepare for an apocalypse. You get home realize you got $250 worth of junk, but notwhat you went for. You say ill go backnext time add a few more things to your list and within a few days the cycle continues. Walmart is the worst institution to ever have a chance to curse humanity.

January 6, 2014 at 12:46 am
(78) Sarah says:

Aldi is a Godsend. It makes Walmart look like a three ring circus built by kindergarteners. Aldi kmows what theyre doing and has products that are BETTER not just as good but better than name brand. Milk at aldi is 2.50. At Wal-Mart its 4.35! Everything at aldi seems to be half price compared to Wal-Mart. And they fire managers with years of tenure over granting a refund or discount of so little as $2. They put a single dad of 2 with not even a car on the streets just weeks before christmas because he allowed a tiny discount under $5 after a customer blew up on him. He had been a manager there for several years. I will not support them EVER. Praying for them to go belly up, soon.

February 18, 2014 at 4:03 pm
(79) Gavin says:

They really don’t save you money according to me, because I went to buy a wireless mouse there, and it was 20$. So, I went to Office Depot and they sold the same mouses for 20$ too.