Forget about buying a composter. You can make your own compost bin from a garbage can in no time.
Time Required: 30 minutes or less
- Drill holes through the sides and bottom of a trash can to create ventilation.
- Place an even mix of brown and green materials inside the can. Brown materials include: leaves, twigs, wood chips, newspaper and cardboard. Green materials include: fruit and vegetable scraps, grass clippings, coffee grounds and egg shells.
- Add a small amount of water to the can – just enough to moisten the materials. Then, place the lid on the can; bungee cord it in place; and give it a quick roll around the yard to mix the contents.
- Position your can on top of a few bricks to ensure good air flow, and your compost bin is ready to go.
- Roll your compost bin around the yard once a week to keep the contents mixed.
- Add a bit of water, whenever your compost seems dry.
What You Need:
- A plastic trash can, with lid
- A drill
- A 1/2-inch wood bit
- 3 bricks
- A bungee cord